*** Dairy free, soya free, egg free, nut free and gluten free ***
200g/2 cups gluten free self raising flour
50g/half a cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
100g/half a cup sugar
60ml/4 tblsp flavourless oil (sunflower/vegetable/rapeseed oil)
200ml/1 cup milk (any alternative milk)
20ml/1 tblsp/30g golden syrup or maple syrup or honey
- Preheat fan oven to 180C/355F.
- Sieve flour, cocoa powder and baking soda together. Add the sugar.
- In another bowl whisk the milk, oil and syrup together.
- Add the liquid to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into lined or greases tin – 8 inch circular
- Bake for 30 minutes.
If you double the quantities, you can make a sandwich cake. Put buttercream in the middle. Dairy free Butter cream
Or use a ganache to decorate Vegan Ganache
- If you are using Plain gluten free flour, add 2 additional teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of bicarbonated soda and half of teaspoon of xanthan gum
- Half teaspoon of xanthan gum can be replaced with a teaspoon of cornflour/cornstarch or potato starch.
- Rice milk is best milk for vegan baking as it holds air better than other milks.
- Recipe can be used for muffins. Bake for 18 minutes.
2 thoughts on “My go to Birthday Cake”
Great cake, thank you! However, I did it all in one tin and only needed to cook it for 25 mins.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Amazing recipes! Thanks so much for posting these, they are life savers for my allergic family.